Monday, April 20, 2009

Bless me bloggers for I have failed to write.......

Well, first off, the hand is a bit better. I have the thing in a splint which has covered three fingers which has made it virtually impossible to type. As I have some work to do today I have removed the stinking thing (Trust me, it reeks) for a couple of hours. This not being able to write thing is a pain in the arse.

I have come to the conclusion I need to hit some ballparks this year, so being in Florida, I am going to try and hit as many as I can and write them up for Our Sports Central. I went to The Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville last week and am thinking of going to Daytona and Savannah as well. Any suggestions for Florida parks to go to?

In a couple of weeks I will be in San Jose, CA to cover a game there. Really, it is a much needed vacation as I spend some time with my nieces, sister, mother, father and brother-in law, but I will get some work in there as well. From what my brother in law has told me, Municipal Stadium is a nice park, but a bit old. We shall see when I head there for a game against Modesto a week from Sunday.

My first impression of the Baseball Grounds was a good one. The sight lines are very good, the amenities are plentiful, and I daydreamed about catching some rays on the berm in left field while taking in a ballgame. The park is in a good location and there are some good views of the Saint John's River and a couple of the seven bridges that connect Jacksonville to the rest of the world.

The staff was friendly, the seats were nice and the level of play is pretty solid.

The only criticism I have of the park is there are not enough beer stands for $1.00 Thursdays. I had to wait in line for 15 minutes for a cheap beer before I headed to the next stand and got a Bacardi and Coke for a mere two bucks. (When freelancing, I can get away with contributing to the local economy with an adult beverage. Shhhhhhhhhhhh, don't tell Paul at OSC this.) More to come in an upcoming article, but this is a wee bit of a teaser before I hit a game in the next few weeks.

Remember folks, Jacksonville Admirals basketball at 7:30 on May 6th at Edward Waters College. Yours truly will be behind the mic doing PA duties.

No comments:

Post a Comment